The New York Post published an online article on October 23, 2016 entitled “Ex-Trump aides tied to firm that tried to expand Russia’s spying efforts” and a print article on October 24, 2016 entitled “Don’s Aides Linked to Putin Spies”.
These articles contain false and defamatory allegations regarding EyeLock’s technology and business. EyeLock informed the New York Post of the false and defamatory allegations before the story published. Once published, EyeLock made a demand to the New York Post for an immediate and full retraction.
EyeLock’s statements in response to the New York Post’s false and defamatory allegations are as follows:
- Neither EyeLock, nor anyone acting on the company’s behalf, have ever lobbied, conducted business with, or made any sales to any Russian government officials, entities or agencies.
- EyeLock has never aided or sought to aid any party in spying on people.
- EyeLock is a known privacy advocate and does not compromise the privacy of individuals in any way.
- EyeLock’s technology is not capable of surveillance. It cannot covertly collect biometric data or otherwise spy on individuals.
- EyeLock’s technology requires that individuals opt-in by voluntarily enrolling in the system. Authentication occurs when an individual’s iris is matched against a database of iris templates (no photos or videos) of pre-enrolled individuals.
- Any connection between Paul Manafort and EyeLock was with one of the company’s predecessor entities, Global Rainmakers, and prior to 2011. EyeLock and its management team have never had any relationship or dealings with him.
- Neither Paul Manafort, who has (or had) a de minimis indirect equity stake in EyeLock as a result of a small investment in a predecessor company (many years prior to any member of the current management team joining the company), nor Rick Gates has anything to do with EyeLock’s business.
- Neither Mr. Manafort nor Mr. Gates have ever lobbied for or arranged any sales to any Russian governmental or non-governmental entities or agencies on EyeLock's behalf.